The airport was basically opened up on 5 May 1939. However, regular air services only started off in October 1946. By 1948, BEA were functioning a daily service to Southampton using Douglas DC-3 aircraft. From 1951, Jersey Airlines flew BEA affiliate appointed services to Southampton at weekends using Rapide eight-seat biplane airliners.In 1960 there were four grass runways, with programs starting from 2,040 ft (622 m) to 3,060 ft (933 m). 1960 also saw the development of a new tarmacked runway of a length of 4,800 ft (1,463 m). In early 2000s along with the work on the new incurable, Commerce and Employment believed an extendable was necessary to allow use of larger aircraft such as the Boeing 737, or other larger jets for trans-European flights. In 2012, a set of four two-day closures under the Airport 2040 programme is enabling the States of Guernsey to re-establish of the existing runway, extend protection areas and also reconstruct parts of the tangible apron areas. Taxiways which connect the kitchen to the runway are also being resurfaced and realigned, whilst a new discharge system is being implemented. New airfield ground lighting and navigational aids are also being installed.